The honor of being Salutatorian for St. John’s Class of 2019 was awarded to Halen Carbonel. Throughout his stay in St. John’s, Halen has maintained focus and flourished through the rigorous academic programs that has molded him to achieve greatness.
What colleges were you accepted into?
- I was accepted into the University of Notre Dame, Middlebury College, Wesleyan University, Case Western Reserve University, and Skidmore College.
Which college will you choose and why?
- I will choose to attend the University of Notre Dame because it has always been my dream school since I first started thinking about college. It has a very tight-knit community and a phenomenal sports team.
What is your planned college major? minor?
- My planned college major is biology.
Why do you wish to pursue this major or career? How does this align with what you would like to achieve in your life after college?
- I want to major in biology because after my four years of undergraduate study, I would like to go to medical school and become a sports medicine physician.
What about college life are you most excited for?
- I am most excited for the opportunity to watch the Fighting Irish football games at Notre Dame.
What advice would you give to a high school student starting college applications?
- Start writing your personal essay and other additional essays as soon as possible so you have time for revisions.
What advice would you give to a new St. John’s freshman?
- Be open to getting out of your comfort zone and trying new things.
What will your lasting memories of St. John’s be?
- Completing the IB Diploma Requirements
How well has St. John’s prepared you for a successful college future?
- After going through the IB Diploma Program, I feel well prepared for college because it has taught me how to manage my time more wisely.
Who has been the most influential person in your time at St. John’s School?
- Mr. Babia has been the most influential person in my time at St. John’s School because he always reminds me to keep a positive attitude and to never give up.
What clubs/activities/organizations were you involved with on/off campus?
- I was a part of the National Honor Society, Tri-M Music Honor Society, and the High School Golf Team.
How were you able to balance your extracurricular activities and academic life so well? Any piece of great advice?
- I was able to balance my extracurricular activities and academic life by always keeping in check my priorities. A tip of advice would be to choose to do extracurricular activities that you actually like to do and invest your time in.
Know anyone that should be featured here? We’d love to hear from you. Let us know by filling out the information below!